We're All Going on a Summer Holiday
This Friday and Saturday are again expected to be busy days on the roads of the UK, with people travelling to airports, ferry ports and to holiday destinations in the UK and Europe. A single breakdown could cause further disruption to your journey, so it pays to be prepared before you set off.
A few simple checks around your car, motorhome, trailer or caravan can save you from spending time on the hard shoulder or waiting for a recovery service to arrive.
- Check oil and coolant levels following the instructions in the handbook.
- Check the condition of the tyres, (including the spare, if you have one) for correct pressures and legal tread depth. Check also that the tyre walls are undamaged, with no bulges or cracking.
- Make sure the jack and wheel brace are in correct working order. If locking wheel nuts are fitted, ensure the locking key is stored safely in the vehicle.
- Check all the exterior lights are working correctly, including on a caravan or trailer.
- Never overload your vehicle, trailer or caravan beyond their designed carrying capacity.
- Check all wiper blades for wear or splitting, check the windscreen washer fluid level and check that the washer jets are adjusted correctly
Finally, leave plenty of time for your journey, especially if you need to catch a flight or a ferry. Take plenty of breaks, stay hydrated and have a great trouble free holiday.