Changes to the Highway Code
It’s vital to stay up to date with the Highway Code, whether you’ve only had one lesson or held a licence for years.
From today there are changes to the rules on using motorways, so it’s as important as ever to “check the Code” – and continue to do so on a regular basis.
The changes made as of today refer to guidance on smart motorways. A total of 33 existing rules will be amended and two new rules introduced, with a number of amendments made to the additional information annexes.
• clearer advice on where to stop in an emergency
• the importance of not driving in a lane closed by a Red X
• the use of variable speed limits to manage congestion
• updated guidance on key factors that contribute to safety-related incidents, including unroadworthy vehicles, tailgating and driving in roadworks
You can view the full list of updates here.
The Highway Code on GOV.UK allows you to:
• search for key words and phrases within The Highway Code
• quickly move between related rules
• follow links to the original laws that the rules are based on
• print sections more easily
There’s also an official Highway Code app.